Sunday, May 04, 2003

How is J. Kelly Nestruck doing these days?

I didn't sleep very much Wednesday or Thursday night. I was nervous to speak at the CNA conference and to start at my new job. So yesterday, I slept until 8pm. Now my internal clock is all messed up.

There was no reason to be nervous for work, however. My first day at The Post was a lot of fun. I met my bosses, fellow reporters and interns, as well as a bunch of other people. The names are all a blur, so I'm going to embarrass myself on Monday trying to remember them all.

Most of the day was spent surfing the wires trying to find a story to pitch, but around 3pm, I got my first assignment, writing a brief "attic" (that's what they call those small stories that The Post has at the top of almost every page) on Esso and Petro-Can dropping their prices by 16 cents in Toronto to encourage people to go spend their cash in the city. Alas, my 150 words didn't make it online, so I can't link to it. However, I was pleased to wake up at 8 pm, head to the 7/11 at my corner and pick up the paper and see my byline.

Media Slut Update: I was also quoted in the Saturday Toronto Star business section in an article by Steven Theobald about one of the panels I sat on at the CNA conference. Again, this is not online, so here's the excerpt dealing with me:

Kelly Nestruck, 22, presented a far more sanguine outlook to the conference.
Nestruck, who is beginning a summer internship at a large daily newspaper [Ed note: What large daily newspaper would that be? heh, heh.], listed four steps to attract younger readers:

Write about 20-somethings.
Write for them.
Hire young people.
Be a newspaper, not some sort of hybrid.
Most of all, acknowledge that young people are considered important readers, Nestruck said.
"Quote young people in your articles, no matter what it is about."

This contrasts with what pollster Michael Adams said at the conference. From the same article:

Adams also provided a warning to newspaper executives in the audience.
The good news is 60 per cent of Canadians older than 57 read at least one newspaper five or more times a week.
"If you could follow them into the afterlife you'd be in a great position," Adams told the crowd, foreshadowing the statistics to come.
Forty-six per cent of the baby boom generation, 35 to 57, are regular readers.
And a mere 28 per cent of people aged 15 to 35 read a newspaper five or more times a week.
"These people are more likely to have a global network of people who will e-mail them the message they want to read," Adams said.
Not all is lost, Adams suggested in an interview following his speech. He cited Metro, the paper given away free to Toronto transit users, as an effective way to reach younger readers.
"Maybe in the future you will have one that is sports-oriented or one that is entertainment-oriented."

Ah, Metro... This is what the kids want, say Pollsters and William Thorsell. Sigh.

------

Well, I've settled in to my sister's apartment in Toronto. She lives in Little Portugal, which is a cool part of town, near the Annex and Little Italy.

I didn't like Toronto much the last time I stayed here for an extended period of time. I know this is heretical for a Montrealer to say, but I think I'm warming to T-dot a bit this time 'round. Which isn't to say that I'd live her permanently, but rather that I think I'm going to have a fun time this summer.

One of the nice things about being in a city you don't know that well, is that it encourages you to talk to strangers. Tonight, for instance, I chatted with three drunk indy-rockers while waiting in line to buy groceries at the nearby 24-hour Dominion. I think they may have been stoned too, because they were buying lots of mini pizzas by Pillsbury.

The friendliest one, Jay, invited me to come see his band play at Clinton's Tavern on Thursday. Why not? I'll let you know if they're any good.

No comments: