Sunday, May 18, 2003

Media Slut Update!

I was interviewed on Mojo radio on Thursday, about The Matrix Reloaded, which I saw on Wednesday night. Mojo radio is like Maxim, but instead of being a magazine, it's a radio station. Whoa.
Anyway, fellow intern Siri Agrell had written an article the day before about these wackos who believe that the Matrix trilogy signals the second coming of Christ. Well, they called her to ask her what she thought about the movie, but she hadn't actually seen Matrix Reloaded yet, so she passed them over to me.

Pre-air dialogue between me and the host:

Host: So, you review movies for The Post?
Me: Uh, no.
Host: You work in the entertainment section.
Me: Well, yeah, sometimes I write for Arts and Life.
Host: So, you're an entertainment writer.
Me: Uh, well, I'm really a national news reporter.
Host: Right. [Pause] Well, we'll just call you Kelly Nestruck from The National Post.
Me: O-kay...

So, then, 30 seconds later, I'm live on air, and he asks me about the movie, and I say, well the action was a lot of fun, but the philosophical stuff this time was a bunch of hooey - lousy, clumsy dialogue that was extremely confusing. The following is our conversation as best I recall it:

Me: ...It's nothing new, really, Jean Baudrillard was writing about the simulacrum 30 years ago.
Host: Well, existentialism goes back a long time...
Me: Uh, yeah. Well, but I'm talking about the idea of our reality being a false, constructed one, which is practically a basic tenet of postmodernism.
Host: Well, I don't know about this Jean Boogamoo, but - tell me - do we get to see any bum in this movie?
Me: Uh, yes.
Host: Keanu, or Carrie-Ann Moss?
Me: Well, there's some bum shown by both of them. [Pause] Carrie Ann Moss is really hot.

So on, so forth... until he asks:

Host: Since you know all about these things, what are some good movies coming up this summer?
Me: [not knowing about these things at all, stumbling, stuttering, unable to think of anything, totally on the spot] Uh, well, uh...
Host: What about The Hulk? Is that going to be any good?
Me: Uh, well, it's like the comic book, but on screen. [Pause] It'll be quite... hulky.
Host: Oh. [Quickly bringing the interview to a close] Well, thanks for talking with us. We've been speaking with Kelly Nestruck, National Post.

Ah... Not the most memorable moment of my media slut career.


No comments: