Thursday, May 29, 2003

Slim Shady at the Savoy?

Okay, this is a silly thought, but it suddenly occured to me that there may be a connection between my enjoyment of Gilbert and Sullivan and Eminem.

Consider, if you will, W.S. Gilbert's patter songs versus Eminem's raps. They are more closely connected than either of those parties would like to admit...

"I am the very model of a modern major general."
vs
"I am whatever you say I am. If I wasn't, then why would you say I am?"

In fact, the Lord High Executioner Koko's List song ("As someday it may happen that a victim must be found, I've got a little list of society offenders who might well be underground and who never would be missed.") is kinda like Eminem's "Kill You" ("I said you don't want to fuck with Shady, cuz Shady will fuckin' kill you")...

As a brilliant musician friend on a message board I frequent put it:

Conspiracy theory in the making! I can see it now: unearthed detroit free-press reviews of a local d'oyly carte-type thing: "one could only marvel at the empathy with which the young marshall mathers.."

Man, if I was still in university, this would be an awesome paper....

No comments: