Monday, February 09, 2004

Movie Madness

I'm a wee bit tired this evening after sitting through the full seven and a half hours* of Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World** as part of my goal to see all the Oscar-nominated films this year, so this blog entry is going to be a short and sweet.

Are you looking for a movie to rent this evening? Check out What to Rent, a "website linked to a computer-cluster that will recommend a movie for you to watch based upon your personality and the type of film experience you are looking for. It will provide you with the name of the movie that fits you, the year it was released, the director, and a few principle actors." [via pullquote]

I asked for something a little different from what I would usually watch and the What to Rent algorithm came up with P.T. Anderson's Boogie Nights. To be honest, that was right on. It's a movie that I've always sorta wanted to watch, but haven't.

I would go out to rent it right now, but I spent fifteen hours* tonight watching The Hardy Boys and the Secret of Napolean's Ghost Ship**.

*Approximate figure.
** Best Picture, my ass.

Bust and Boomer

Also via pullquote: Rick McGinnis's Boomer Deathwatch.

Having recently been irritated by Bernardo Bertolucci's comments re: his new movie The Dreamers ("I was very much hoping that this film could speak to the generation of kids of today about another generation of kids, many years ago, so that kids today could see the difference. How, in '68, young people were in some way more idealistic.") and been similarly irritated by Mark Kurlansky's g├╝ber-nostalgic book 1968: The Year that Rocked the World, I was in the mood for some Boomer bashing...

Post-script

My recent speaking engagement at the Canadian University Press National Conference in St. John's has merited a couple of mentions on the World Wide Web.

At something called The Local News, Isabelle Gallant writes, "I attended two seminars, both led by J. Kelly Nestruck, an arts reporter for The National Post. This man is knowledgeable, and most importantly, he's also attractive."

Meanwhile, over at my Alma Paper The McGill Daily, the gossip columnist Slibel & Lander has a much less accurate report...

No comments: