Monday, February 02, 2004

A Nipple is Better Than a Long Bomb?

If you're looking for Janet Jackson nipple news, I can suggest no better site than Aaron Wherry's Pop blog. Wherry's got all the latest developments from Howard Dean's take on the boob to what this all means to the War on Terror. Yes, Wherry loves this story like a fat kid loves cake...

Me, I'm baffled by the whole darn thing... I actually find it quite disturbing that a single exposed boob during dinner hour causes a government agency to open an inquiry, but the fact that the breast was supported by three hours of violence doesn't bother anyone. As far as I know, it wasn't Janet Jackson's tit that caused fans to riot in Boston, flipping cars over, starting fires and resulting in at least one death.

In response to the boobie on the boob tube, FCC commissioner Michael Copps said, "I'll bet there are millions like me who wonder why parents wanting to watch an all-American sports show with their children have to worry about what's coming on their screen next."

White House spokesman Scott McClellan echoed the FCC: "Our view is, it's important for families to be able to expect a high standard when it comes to programming."

Neither of these two men seem to care, however, that 21% of the players in the NFL have been charged with a serious crime like rape, assault or domestic violence. The kids can idolize criminals and cheer for them to beat each other up, sure, but don't let them see a mammary gland...

This all makes me think of what Italian film director Bernardo Bertulucci said about Fox Searchlight's decision to release his new film The Dreamers uncut in the United States even though that means that it will be saddled with the dreaded NC-17 rating because of its sexual content. "I'm relieved -- in so many ways -- that the distributor has had the vision to release my original film," he said. "After all, an orgasm is better than a bomb." (NB: No film has ever got an NC-17 rating for violence.)

Am I the only one who thinks it is a sick culture that sees violence as compatible with family values, but is scandalized by a woman's exposed breast?

Then again, what do I know? I'm from Quebec...

Post-script

-- You've heard what the pundits had to say about the Hutton Report. Now hear what Radiohead's lead singer Thom Yorke has to say.

-- Hey! Urinetown is coming to Toronto in May. Hurrah!

-- In response to popular demand, check out the new font size here at the Nestruck blog: 14 px! The good news: You don't have to strain your eyes anymore. The bad news: Now that my grandmother can read my blog, there will be no more discussion of Janet Jackson's breasts.

No comments: