Monday, March 29, 2004

As the Blogosphere Turns...

*WARNING: Coyne-related post follows.*

The sequence of events:

March 17, 2004: Andrew Coyne makes a post to his blog about the new $100 bills. Free for the world to read.

March 27, 2004: The National Post prints the Coyne post on its commentary page and refers to it on its front page. You have to pay to read it, either by purchasing the paper or an online subscription.

I have two things to say about this:

1) Crazy, yo.
2) Editors wishing to purchase my blog posts and run them in their newspapers can e-mail me in my wildest dreams.

Can anyone think of another time that a publication has paid to reprint something that is on the internet for free?

Wait! I can think of one... And it's another Canadian example. The last issue of Toro featured an article about the National Post by Mark Steyn. That article had been available on his website for months for free.

Has the world gone mad?

No comments: