Tuesday, March 09, 2004

R.I.P. Spalding Gray

I remember standing in that second-story window and looking down, wondering if I really had the courage to jump and if I did would it kill me from such a small height. I think I figured I'd just break a leg or something and end up in a cast for the rest of the summer, and that would be much better than dying because of all the attention I'd get.

-- S.G., from Impossible Vacation.
Since he disappeared two months ago, it has been a foregone conclusion that Spalding Gray had finally succeeded in taking his life. His close friend John Perry Barlow started eulogizing him on his blog back on January 16.

The eulogies are flowing now that the monologist's body has been found washed up on the shores of the East River. Here are a few obits: The Times, Toronto Star theatre critic Richard Ouzounian, The Telegraph...

At first glance, it looked as if there was no acknowledgement of Gray's passing at the website of The Wooster Group, the NYC experimental theatre he co-founded. But then I noticed that on the About page, someone has quietly added his death date: Spalding Gray (1941-2004).

It's very sad whenever brilliance is drowned by that beast depression. I wish he had just broken his leg in the jump off the bridge...

[Thanks for letting me know, Felicity. I had completely missed this somehow.]

No comments: