Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Theatre Tuesday: Three Quick Hits

1. Which came first: Life or art?: A month ago, British playwright Brett Bailey went to Haiti to work on his play about the fall of a tyrant. Then, two weeks later, Aristide was overthrown/ousted/kidnapped/exiled himself. Then, a week after that, Bailey wrote an article about it for The Guardian.

Found this part particularly interesting:
Sitting with a local writer in the Oloffson on Friday, I asked, where are the heavily armed rebel forces that overran the northern half of the country two weeks ago? "They are here, keeping a low profile, waiting for an opportunity to make a move," he replied. And Guy Phillipe, their young commander - is he a local hero? "He is like a frying pan when there is a fire," said my friend. "You grab it because it is the only thing available to beat out the flames, but you don't want to display it on the mantelpiece."
Out of the frying pan into the fire?

2. Secrete Charity: Middle-brow American playwright Neil Simon needed a kidney, so who stepped up to the plate? His publicist Bill Evans did. (Get it? Secrete Charity... like Sweet Charity? Ha!) [via Optimus Crime]

3. The Syringa Tree: I went to see this one-woman play by South African expat playwright Pamela Gien at the Bluma Appel theatre tonight. I'd give you my thoughts, but I'll wait until I see it again on Wednesday. CanStage's unorthodox idea was to have two actresses -- one black and the other white -- alternate in the role. Tonight I saw Caroline Cave. Next up: Yanna McIntosh.

No comments: