Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Everytime I see you falling...

Pull out your prayer shawls and get your yoga mats out of the basement... Only eight more days until the U.S.A.'s National Day of Prayer. Why have such a day? Here's why:
Corporate prayer has always played an important role in our nation’s history. Men such as Washington, Jefferson, Franklin and Webster not only participated in corporate prayer but sounded the clarion call to intercession on behalf of this young nation.
As far back as 1774, there is record of government leaders calling for a day of intercession... One of the most memorable calls for corporate prayer was issued by President George W. Bush when he proclaimed a national day of prayer and remembrance just three days after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
Now, I'm not opposed to prayer, of course, but I am fascinated by this term "corporate prayer." I've never heard it before... It sounds so, um, I don't know, corporate.

I'm also fascinated that the National Day of Prayer's Honorary Chairman is none other than Oliver North. And on the site, he relates his own story of being healed by prayer:
I lay writhing on the ground. Couldn’t feel my legs. Lost control of my bladder.

Before a medic could arrive, John Grinalds showed up. Next thing I knew, he was putting his hands on my legs and saying, "I’m going to pray for you."

Pray? I thought. I’m lying here in agony, and you want to pray!

But what I said aloud was, "Uh, Colonel, don’t you think we could just do this the usual way? You know, get the helicopter, go to the hospital...?"

But Grinalds ignored me. He called out, "Lord Jesus Christ, You are the Great Physician. Heal this man."

In that very instant the pain disappeared. Soon the feeling returned to my legs. When I was ready, Grinalds helped me to my feet.

Astonished, I came out with one of the most inane utterances of my life. I said, "Thank you, sir."

At that, Grinalds grabbed me by my jacket and pulled me up to his face. "Don’t thank me," he said. "Thank your Lord and Savior. He is the Great Physician. You have to turn to Him."

That incident was the two-by-four God used to break through my thick-skulled resistance.
That's a figurative two-by-four...

You can order North's prayer book from the National Day of Prayer site, by the way. Ah, the power of corporate prayer.

No comments: