Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Float like a Butterfly...

From last night's press conference:
QUESTION: Thank you, Mr. President. In the last campaign you were asked a question about the biggest mistake you'd made in your life and you used to like to joke that it was trading Sammy Sosa ... After 9/11 what would your biggest mistake be, would you say? And what lessons have you learned from it?

BUSH: Hmm. I wish you would have given me this written question ahead of time so I could plan for it ... I'm sure historians will look back and say, gosh, he could have done it better this way or that way. You know, I just - I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, all the pressure of trying to come up with an answer. But it hasn't yet. I would have gone into Afghanistan the way we went into Afghanistan. Even though I know what I know today about the stockpiles of weapons, I still would have called upon the world to deal with Saddam Hussein. See, I happen to believe that we'll find out the truth on the weapons. That's why we set up the independent commission. I look forward to hearing the truth as to exactly where they are. They could still be there. They could be hidden like the 50 tons of mustard gas in a turkey farm ... And - but it will all settle out, John. We'll find out the truth about the weapons at some point in time ... You know, I hope I - I don't want to sound like I've made no mistakes; I'm confident I have. I just haven't - (chuckles) - you just put me under the spot here, and maybe I'm not quick - as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one. Yeah, Ann?
[As brought to my attention by Jonathan Kay on the Post's Ed Blog.]

No comments: