Thursday, April 22, 2004

Theatre Thursday: Cookin' at the Cookery

I'm sorry I haven't been posting about the shows and movies I've been seeing lately. It's just a busy time of the year, yadda, yadda... Surely, I'll get around to making mention of The Saddest Music in the World, Super Size Me and The Cremaster Cycle eventually.

For now, however, let me just advise Torontonians and those who are planning to visit Toronto over the summer to check out Cookin' at the Cookery, remounted for an indefinite run at the newly-renovated New Yorker Theatre. The critics loved it when it hit CanStage in the fall (and the Manitoba Theatre Centre, less we forget), but I didn't get to see it until Tuesday night. A biography of singer Alberta Hunter, the two-hander feature two fab females performers playing the singer at different ages: Jackie Richardson and Montego Glover. Richardson's getting all the press, but Glover is one of the most stunning young actors I've had occasion to see since arriving in T-dot. She's spectacular, especially when she morphs into Louis Armstrong. It's like Satchmo's spirit has risen and taken up residence in her body.

Here's my interview with Richardson from The Post. Gratis for once!

No comments: