Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Theatre Tuesday: "Puppetry is ridiculous - I wouldn't pay to see it"

The brilliant Canadian puppeteer Ronnie Burkett is in London. The Guardian interviews him. As usual, Burkett is self-deprecatory to a fault.

As On The Fence is always interested in the subject of Truth in Art, here's what Burkett has to say about the matter:
Tender is almost a definition of Burkett's work. But it is also tough. He minutely observes how humans behave, finding the best and worst in people, wrapping that up in a package that always includes large dollops of sentiment, anger, camp and a fearless, frightening truthfulness. Truth, Burkett believes, is something you don't often get in art. "The best you can hope for is to give the audience honesty and ownership. I extend a hand to them, in effect saying if you will breathe with me in the dark for a couple of hours and let me control your breathing, I will try and make it worth your while."
If you've never seen one of Burkett's shows, you're really missing out. There's truly no one else like him on earth.

Here's my interview with Burkett from January when his current show Provenance was playing at CanStage.

No comments: