Thursday, May 13, 2004

Sartre Thursday

My boss just handed me a slip of paper with the following quotation on it:
Everything is gratuitous, this garden, this city and myself. When you suddenly realize it, it makes you feel sick and everything begins to drift ... that's nausea.
Funny, Mr. Jean-Paul "Smartypants" Sartre, Dictionary.com defines nausea as:
1. A feeling of sickness in the stomach characterized by an urge to vomit.
2. Strong aversion; disgust.
So there.

Amateur linguists will be interested to know that nausea comes from the same root as nautical: nau, the Greek word for ship. [Tangent: My favourite linguoblogger is Language Hat. You should check it out.]

Speaking of gratuitous, I felt gratuitously good bicycling to work through the Don Valley this morning in the sunshine -- no drift whatsoever.

Anyway, my point is this: What kind of boss gives you existentialist quotes before lunch?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fucking McGill grads.

Paul Wells said...

Fucking McGill grads.

Anonymous said...

That's a fucking good point.