Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Waters Wednesday: The Pope of Trash in T-dot

After spending yesterday morning ingesting director John Waters' Hairspray, Pink Flamingos and a documentary about his early underground films called Divine Trash, I went downtown to interview the man himself:
Wearing a pair of puke-green and meatball-brown striped socks under his pointy black leather shoes, cult director John Waters looks like the Wicked Witch of the West, daring the sky to drop a big ol' house on him while he sits in the lobby of Toronto's Princess of Wales Theatre.

"All young people need somebody bad to look up to," says Waters, grinning beneath his trademark pencil-line moustache. "I try to be a negative artistic influence on young people. And parents now bring me their youths. They offer them up to me. They bring them to me for help."
It's in the paper today -- and free online.

(Tonight, I go see the musical version of Hairspray at the PoW. If nothing else, the Mirvish gala openings are great for people watching. At The Producers opening in December, former defence minister Art Eggleton butted in front of me in the buffet line. Then, he paid his girlfriend to stand in line for him at the oyster bar. Okay, that second part isn't true.)

No comments: