Friday, June 25, 2004

Campaign Diary, Day 35: Yankee, Go Home!

The latest American to come up here and tell Canadians not to vote for the Tories is Ralph "I-Fucked-History" Nader, reports the CBC. Nader follows such esteemed Yanks as documentary filmmaker Michael Moore and sex columnist Dan Savage in trying to stop the Harper menace. Savage didn't just urge people to not vote Conservative, either; he encouraged his readers to "vote for Paul Martin and his Liberal Party allies. Scandal, schmandal, people!"

Looks like NAFTA has come back to bit the Conservatives in the behind.

If Sam Roberts and Hawksley Workman want to discourage people from voting Tory, s'cool I guess. At least they're Canadians. (I'd rather see them support something rather than scaremonger, mind you.)

But these celebrity moles from south of the border... What do Moore and Savage really know about Canada? (Recall that in Bowling for Columbine Moore told the whole world that Canadians didn't lock their doors.) Nader has at least has written a book about Canada. But that doesn't mean that he has to be so arrogant as to put out a press release about the Canadian election. (Moore made his comments while answering journalists; Savage was answering a letter from a Canadian reader.)

Considering that I will probably make my views known about the American elections and encourage my friends below the parallel to vote for the lesser of two douche bags, I guess I'm the pot calling the kettle black.

But you know what? Now that I've been on the receiving end of unwanted advice, maybe I'll keep my big mouth shut. Mr. Nader's anti-endorsement of Stephen Harper almost makes me want to vote for him.

No comments: