Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Final curtain for Glassco

Gee, with the film festival on, I complete missed that Bill Glassco passed away earlier this week. [Globe, Star, CBC.] Among his many contributions to Canadian Theatre, Glassco founded the Tarragon theatre and was the first English translator (with John van Burek) of Michel Tremblay's plays. Recently he founded the Montreal Young Company with Chris Abraham.

I once had the privelege of being directed by Glassco when he came to teach a workshop on performing Shakespeare at McGill in January 2002. I auditioned for him with Richard III's opening speech and he cast me as Panderus in a scene from Troilus and Cressida.

I've been searching my harddrive for the notes from those sessions, but alas I think they are back in Montreal. Relying on my shaky memory, all I can recall is that he had such a quiet, calm presence. And he invited students over to his house to rehearse, I remember that.

Anyway, it's a loss for Canadian theatre. And it was genuinely surprising when I heard this today, because Glassco was only 69.

No comments: