Tuesday, November 02, 2004

But forget about the election for a moment!

Uncle Cam, a frequent commenter here, has a blog where he discusses iPods, cats, and his lovely little son Lucas.

Okay, now think about the election again. Obsessively.

Whoa! I almost forgot the obligatory, "Get out and vote!" message. Alas, I can't vote in the United States. I can vote in Canada, however, and did so last June 28. My candidate didn't win, but it was a rewarding experience. Here's what I wrote at the time:
This morning, I went to the local polling station, marked an X on my ballot, folded it in three and -- under the watchful eyes of two clerks and a scrutineer -- slid it right into the tight slot of the ballot box.

Look: You can be cynical and hate politics and think all the candidates are crooks and think our electoral system is a bunch of garbage. You can think all of these things and still vote.

Just do it. It's a rush. It makes you feel good, like when you pick a piece of garbage off the street or say hello to a stranger in the park or any other number of moments when you connect with your offline community.

I held the long, thin ballot by its very end and pushed it deep into that box until my fingers hit cardboard. Then I let go and it made a satisfying, soft clunk like a watch dropping to the floor off the side of your bed.

I made sweet love to my country today and it felt good.
Go on. You know you want to.

No comments: