Friday, December 17, 2004

Flirty Pretty Thing

My interview with Audrey Tautou -- in which I unapolegetically fawn over the star of Amelie and A Very Long Engagement -- is online at the National Post and free for your online consumption:
[T]iny 26-year-old Tautou, her legs barely touching the ground under her chair, is contemplating the not-entirely-remote possibility of receiving a best-actress Academy Award nomination for A Very Long Engagement, a sweeping First World War epic opening today across Canada that reunites her with Amelie's director, Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

As with previous questions, Tautou tosses her eyes toward the ceiling of the Toronto hotel room, as if the answer might be hidden up there in the stucco. As she thinks, she emits a "buuuuhh" sound through her pursed lips, the French equivalent of a "hmmmm."

"That, for me, that's Chinese," she says finally, shaking her head. "It's not at all something that I can envisage or find real in any way.

"For me, it is a little bit like as if someone told me, 'Oh, you're going to walk on the moon.' Well, sure, technically, it's possible. You can put me in a rocket, and I can go. But I don't have the training, I'm not the best candidate."
While I had a fine time talking to Ms. Tautou, apparently she wasn't as GGG with all interviewers. In yesterday's Now, Cameron Bailey writes, "Tautou clearly hates interviews." This wasn't clear to me at all.
I suspect Tautou was cheerful because I interviewed her in French and she could dismiss her translator. And so, this seems like a propitious moment to thank Verstehen for getting my very clunky French up to interview levels over the past six months.

No comments: