Monday, December 06, 2004

Glocal Diet

Riddle me this: Why is it that -- though the Internet allows me to download music from musicians based anywhere in the world -- I have added mostly Canadian bands to my mp3 collection lately? Over the last year, The Unicorns, Metric and The Arcade Fire have been added to my list of top ten favourite bands; these are all Montreal or Toronto groups that I discovered online -- not from local radio or posters on telephone poles.

Riddle me this, as well: Why is it that -- even though the Internet has no national borders -- Canadian bloggers tend to link mainly to other Canadian bloggers? More than three quarters of my blogroll is CanCon.

These are my questions on a Monday morning. Meanwhile, back in the Stone Age, the CRTC has to bribe television stations to run Canadian shows...

No comments: