Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Curtain call

Tom Patterson, founder of the Stratford Festival of Canada, describing how he netted the Shakespeare festival's first artistic director in Robert Cushman's Fifty Years of Stratford:
Dora Mavor Moore said, "As far as I'm concerned, the greatest Shakespeare director in the world is Tyrone Guthrie." So I phoned his home in Ireland. He lived in a very small village and the woman on the switchboard thought I was a mad Irishman, because nobody ever called from Canada. She kept hanging up on me, and I kept phoning back. When she finally realized it was Canada calling, instead of ringing Guthrie, she ran out the door and call, "Mr. Guthrie, Mr. Guthrie, Canada wants you."
Patterson died today after a long illness.

[For some neato historical footage of Stratford, check out the CBC Archives website about the first half-century of the festival. I've been enjoying perusing it today and wondering what happened to Stratford's old tent master Skip Manley...]

No comments: