Saturday, February 19, 2005

Happy Belated Birthday!

Don't you hate it when you forget your own birthday? On the Fence turned two years old on February 9 and I didn't even bake myself a cake.

For those of you who have only recently started visiting here, a little (recent) history: I began this blog to archive a column I was writing called On the Fence for the McGill Daily in the last year of my History/English degree. Though I am now lumped in with the MSM blogging community, I began as a radical *cough* student blogger, standing up to the Man by posting excerpts from musicals about Marx and Engels that were never written.

I've been perusing some the old columns and they stand up fairly well. I think if my current self went back in time to right before the invasion of Iraq I would probably write a column very similar to the one I wrote in February of 2003. On the question of Canadian participation in the United States' Coalition of the Willing, I continue to think we made the right decision to stay the heck away from the libertinvasion of Iraq.

But the question facing Canadians right now isn't the same as it was when the war was being marketed as a "preemptive" one. What should we do if we are asked to help out in Iraq now? I'd be inclined to say we should send troops if asked, not asked by Bush but asked by Iraq's newly-elected interim government.

I probably would have said that two years ago too.

No comments: