Wednesday, June 22, 2005

New Pitch for an Independent Quebec: "Fitter, Happier, More Productive..."

Well, there's certainly not a lack of interested candidates to lead the Parti Québécois. They're launching campaigns left, right and centre... My favourite so far is Richard Legendre, the former Minister of Sport who has only been an elected representative since 2001. Today, the former tennis prodigy announced that not only would he make Quebec a country -- "Rien ne ressemble plus à un pays que le Québec!" -- but he would make it the fittest country in the world: "la nation la plus en forme du monde." Anyone who has ever hung around with a bunch of separatists as they smoke and drink and pontificate will understand why I find the idea of Legendre running the PQ very amusing...

But he does have the backing/ideas of François Legault, who I always thought was going to follow Bernard Landry as leader. And the backing of former sprinter Bruny Surin, who I would certainly want to have on my side if I was involved in a race of any sort...

La Presse has set up a site tracking the six running here.

No comments: