Saturday, September 17, 2005

I don't care what you say...

Just get my name right. The latest mispelling is Newstruck, in Kevin Chong's piece in the Vancouver Sun about the Kinsella/Wilson blog bust-up.

My favourite mispelling, however, happened in my last year of university. The NDP leadership campaign was going on and I went to a Jack Layton fundraiser because a friend was playing her guitar at it. It was a pretty small dinner and I ended up sitting next to Jack for a while. I told him that he should shave his moutache. Over and over.

Anyway, there was a fair amount of wine purchased by Layton and I drank a fair amount of that fair amount. By the end of the evening, I agreed to purchase a cheap student NDP membership so I could vote for him in the leadership campaign. I also agreed to try to grow a moustache myself. And then I toasted to Quebec independence.

When my membership card arrived in the mail a few weeks later, it was made out to J. Kelly Nestcock.

And that was the end of my involvement in partisan politics. (I didn't even vote in the leadership race.)

No comments: