Friday, September 23, 2005

The next election.

No, not Canada's. What? No, I'm not talking about Poland either. It's all about New Zealand, where -- like Germany -- no single party has an outright majority.

See, Labour, the ruling party, took 50 seats and the opposition National Party has 49 seats in the 122-member parliament. Now, if Prime Minister Helen Clark can hook up with the nationalist New Zealand First party, she might just become the first Labour leader to win three consecutive elections. That'll be interesting because...

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm not Paul Wells... I don't immerse myself in a different foreign election every week.

No, I only care about what's going on in New Zealand because a) a Jack Russell terrier named Toby was registered to vote; and b) a Green Party candidate who promised to streak through a rich Wellington suburb if he lost has if fact lost and will honour his promise.

No comments: