Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Richardson's Locked-out Round-up.

- Went to the launch of Warren Kinsella's Fury's Hour last night at Sneaky Dee's, where a couple of cops were posted at the door. Very strange mix of older men in suits, the usual literary suspects, locked-out CBCers, punk rock fans, and a surprising number of hot young women. The whole thing was a bit of a scene. There were also some fine free chicken wings.
Kinsella's band Shit from Hell lived up to its name, though the song "Barney Rubble is my Double" was pretty hot. I also enjoyed the fact that SFH's lead singer is a guy who looks and sounds almost exactly like Keith from The Office.

- C.R.A.Z.Y. update: It's representing Canada in the Best Foreign-Language Film.

- That dude from Toronto is INXS's new singer. What I find funny about this Rock Star show is that every CP article about it contains the clause "the popular television show that was conceived to replace Michael Hutchence, who hanged himself in a hotel room in 1997." Well, okay, not funny... It's just, I bet the host isn't mentioning that on air, every episode: "All right! We're down to three finalists! And tonight we find out who will be the new lead singer of INXS... replacing Michael Hutchence, who hanged himself in a hotel room in 1997."

- Laurier is the Greatest Canadian Prime Minister. I can get behind that.

- Yes, that Paul Coffin sentence is a annoyingly mild. Message: I can cheat on my taxes as long as, if I'm caught, I pay the money back and embark on a speaking tour. Will do!

No comments: