Saturday, September 17, 2005

Youppi!

Everyone's favourite sports mascot is back... and this time he's rooting for The Habs.

I can't tell you how happy I am about this news. When I was a young boy, I was a big Expos fan. I was also a pretty sickly kid and had to go to the Montreal Children's Hospital a lot because of my asthma. Everytime we came back from getting a mask at emergency, my mother would reward me for my good behaviour by giving me a little Youppi! figurine. In one he was playing shortstop, in another he was at bat, in another he was pitching... I still have them all in a box back in Montreal.

I stopped being a real Expos fan in 1994 when the business of baseball intruded on my love of the game and Larry Walker. But I've always had a special place in my heart for the Henson-created orange giant who was the first mascot to ever be thrown out of a game and is one of only three to be inducted in Cooperstown's Baseball Hall of Fame.

No comments: