Thursday, December 22, 2005

Every year is the worst year!

What is it about film journalists that require them to declare each year's crop of movies disappointing in their year-in-review articles? Here's Adam Sternbergh over at CBC Arts discussing the year in film:
Ah, best comedy... [I]t’s impossible to vote against The 40 Year-Old Virgin, which may be my favourite film of the year, period. (What can I say? It was a bleak season.)
I think, in truth, I have heard that every year of my life. "What a lousy year for movies..."

There are years when it rings true, but any year that produces such great movies as The Squid and the Whale (my favourite of the year), C.R.A.Z.Y., Capote, Grizzly Man, the 40-Year-Old Virgin, King Kong, A History of Violence, Horloge Biologique, and Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith can hardly be called bleak. (N.B. I have yet to see Brokeback Mountain, Match Point, Munich or Crash, so my exclusion of them in this list is not meant as a diss.)
As the end of year lists come out, I shall be vigilant for more of this lazy world weariness...

No comments: