Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Democracy in Action

Wondering why Vancouver Centre was the last riding to report on Monday night? In a hilarious tell-all, Deputy Returning Officer (and blogger) Sarah Marchildon introduces us to temporary Elections Canada employee Keith:
At 9 a.m., Keith ate some pepperoni that ended up giving him bad gas. When he told me about his upset stomach, I asked him if there was anything I could get him.
"A kiss," he replied.
By 10 a.m., my patience was running thin.
"Look," I told him. "We’re here to do a very important job and you’re not taking it seriously. You’re not being very professional."
He thought I was kidding. And then he started asking if he could lay his head on my shoulder so he could take a nap.
By 11 a.m., Keith was telling me how sexy he thought the NDP scrutineer was. Which was creepy considering she was about 40 years younger than he was. His eyes kept following her all over the room. He even named her "swivel hips" because of the way she walked.
"Oh, there goes swivel hips," he’d say every time she left her seat. "Look at her! You could walk like that if you wanted to."
There's much, much more...

No comments: