Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Heureusement, ici, c'est le blogue.

I only caught the last hour and a quarter of the French-language debate. Is it true Martin was all Meeching it up? And accused Layton of wanting to limit abortion? Gaffons!

I'm not drinking tonight, but I am exhausted, so let's just brainstorm in point format, shall we? Le débat:

- Maybe I'm being too hard on Layton, but he keeps saying the darndest things. Like when he suggested that cutting the GST by 2% wouldn't do anything, because stores would hike prices by 2% in response. Whaaaaa?

- And that "conditions gagnantes" line... I don't dig it. I think it's fun when J. Lay appropriates right-wing terminology (ie. Harper is trying to buy your votes with your money), but appropriating sovereigntist rhetoric... It don't work that way. "Vive le Québec libre... Libre de pauvreté!"

- And then, when moderator Sophie Thibault (Thi-boring!) asked Layton why the NDP isn't visible in Quebec when there isn't a campaign on, he was all, "Uh, excuse me? I was on a little show call Tout le monde en parle? Perhaps you've heard of it? Also, like, I was born in Hudson."

- Oh, also when Layton said he would help solve the fiscal imbalance by proposing propositions. That was good.

- Mixing up Harper and Layton like Martin did, that's one thing. "Accidentally" calling Martin Chrétien like Duceppe did: Priceless. Albeit inaccurate.

- All those who made fun of Duceppe's English yesterday, I offer you Stephen Harper. On the other hand, kudos to Harpsichord for ending with that humble little "French isn't my first language" apology in his closing. That was cool -- he did a similar thing yesterday when he apologized for being an android who can only smile out of the left side of his mouth.

- Oh, but you know who spoke the most English in a single phrase? It was Duceppe, trotting out his ol' "Ottawa knows best" line. Heureusement, les anglicismes, c'est le Bloc.

- Harper kept running out of time. Didn't sound good.

- I like how in English, the Liberals are all: "The Bloc is in bed with the Bloc." And in French, the Bloc is all: "Trop souvent, le Parti libéral et le Parti conservateur sont dans le même camp, le camp du 'non', du 'non' aux intérêts du Québec." If the Bloc and the Conservatives are in bed together, and the Liberals and the Conservatives are in the same camp, then the Bloc and the Liberals are in they same camp too! Just, maybe, in different cabins. So, they should totally challenge each other to a food fight at the mess hall tomorrow before crafts time.

- Word of the day: Péréquation. What does it mean? I haven't the foggiest! But darned if I'm going to listen to those weird simultaneous translation dudes. If there was a channel that had simultaneously translated subtitles, I'd watch that.

No comments: