Monday, January 23, 2006

Voting, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll.

Hey, remember last election? I just stumbled across my last election day entry and thought I'd repost it with a slight edit...
Campaign Diary, Last Day: Slip it in.

This [evening], I went to the local polling station, marked an X on my ballot, folded it in three and -- under the watchful eyes of two clerks and a scrutineer -- slid it right into the tight slot of the ballot box.

Look: You can be cynical and hate politics and think all the candidates are crooks and think our electoral system is a bunch of garbage. You can think all of these things and still vote.

Just do it. It's a rush. It makes you feel good, like when you pick a piece of garbage off the street or say hello to a stranger in the park or any other number of moments when you connect with your offline community.

I held the long, thin ballot by its very end and pushed it deep into that box until my fingers hit cardboard. Then I let go and it made a satisfying, soft clunk like a watch dropping to the floor off the side of your bed.

I made sweet love to my country today and it felt good.
Whew... Is it hot in here, or is it just Keith Boag?

No comments: