Thursday, February 16, 2006

Religion is the fashionable substitute for belief.

So wrote Oscar Wilde. Another of his that's popping into my head is "The worst vice of the fanatic is his sincerity."

When I think of the word "blasphemy," I think of a word that became soft somewhere around Wilde's time in the Western world. Is it about to tip back?

If it's true that Norway's parliament has criminalized blasphemy in response to the cartoon controversy, I will be mightily concerned. But why can I only find stories about this in sketchy publications and on blogs?

By the way, there's a good recap in The Star of what happened with Salman Rushdie and The Satanic Verses a decade and a half ago, for those who want to blindly link all this to Iraq or the War on Terror.

In addition, just for the blogorecord, I'm firmly behind the movement to Buy Danish. Boycotts are a democratic way of showing your displeasure, but there's no reason a whole country should be punished for the actions of a single newspaper. (Remember when we were fighting over Hans Island and the idea of a war with Denmark was a joke? Oh, those heady days.)

Does anyone know of a Danish foodstuff that isn't Rosenborg blue cheese, though? I think I'll get sick of it pretty soon. Better yet, know of any good Danish bands I can download on iTunes?

No comments: