Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Drowsy Chaperone to West End?

Not to get too ahead of ourselves -- the Tony nominations aren't even out yet, though they will be shortly after I wake up -- but the Brits seem to want The Drowsy Chaperone to take a trip across the Atlantic. The Times is picking it to win the Tony, this critic's all over it, and The Daily Telegraph is saying it outright: "In the 1980s and 1990s, Britain exported musicals to New York. Nowadays the trade is mostly the other way and I hope The Drowsy Chaperone will join such Broadway hits as Avenue Q and Wicked, which have already been lined up for the West End."

(I know, I know, I should write more about shows that are on in Canada, not the one Canadian show on Broadway. But that's my job in the actual newspaper and I can't scoop myself here... Plus, I did really love The Drowsy Chaperone and, for some reason, I'm really excited about its success. Maybe I'm turning into a closet Canadian cultural nationalist... Oh God! I'm becoming the thing I hate!)

No comments: