Wednesday, May 17, 2006

If I were a Richler...

I gots two stories in the paper today -- and they're both on the free side of the firewall.

A) Producer Gabriella Martinelli is turning Mordecai Richler's Cocksure into a movie musical. At first I thought, "Oh my god..." But then I thought, "Hmmm... could be good." The fact that playwright Jason Sherman's on board as screenwriter is a good sign...

B) Some article about some Canadian musical on Broadway picking up 13 Tony nods. ("It's hilarious, isn't it? Oprah's our arch-rival," says Don McKellar.)

I'm getting a bit of e-mailed flack from the old Livent guard for calling Drowsy the first Canadian musical on Broadway in over 25 years... Look, the Toronto production of Show Boat may have gone to Broadway, ditto for Ragtime, etc., but these aren't Canadian musicals, by which I mean musicals written and composed by Canucks. Much as I believe in a theatre sans frontieres, I don't think I'm using a controversial way of classifying a show's nationality.

No comments: