Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Name two brilliant British writers who have railed against the digital watch.

A) Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; and

B) Tom Stoppard in The Real Thing, which I finally saw tonight at Soulpepper.

The Real Thing's been held over, by the way, until August 5 and I really would highly recommend it. Sure, I've got a coupla qualms, but it really was the most enjoyable production I've seen in Toronto since winter; I was positively giddy during the first act...

Post-Script: The Real Thing

Henry: [Trying to change the subject from the terrible play Annie has asked him to read] Stop me if anybody has said this before, but it's interesting how many of the all time greats begin with B: Beethoven, the Big Bopper...

Annie: That's all they have in common.

Henry: I wouldn't say that. They're both dead. The Big Bopper died in the same plane crash that killed Buddy Holly and Richie Valens, you know.

Annie: No, I didn't know. Have you given up on the play or what?

Henry: Buddy Holly was twenty-two. Think of what he might have gone on to achieve. I mean, if Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at twenty-two, the history of music would have been very different. As would the history of aviation, of course.

Annie: Henry.

No comments: