Monday, August 28, 2006

Will Bon Cop, Bad Cop become the most commercially successful Canadian movie of all time?

I'm talking domestic gross here, and I think it just might. I'm basing this prediction entirely on the fact that my mother went to see it in the theatres. My mother. I don't know if she's ever been motivated to see a Quebec movie in theatrical release before. (Mom loved it, too. As did my step-father, Henri. It's the perfect date movie for franco/anglo couples.)

Bon Cop, Bad Cop
(according to estimates) passed Les Boys to become the third highest-grossing Quebecois movie of all time this weekend, with a box office haul of $7-million. That leaves La Grande Séduction (#2) and Séraphin (#1) to overcome. (Séraphin grossed $10 million.)

Now: Séraphin's in its sights, but will Bon Cop, Bad Cop somehow beat Porky's, which earned $11 million dollars domestically (and a whole lot more internationally)? Not if you take inflation into account, but I say we forget about inflation. I think everyone is tired of the fact that a 1981 teen sex comedy set in Florida is the highest grossing Canadian film of all time domestically...

Allez Bon Cop! Go Bad Cop! Go!

No comments: