Friday, November 17, 2006

Fiendly Manitoba

I just clicked on an online ad exhorting me to "Come Home to Work-Life Balance in Manitoba" and was taken to this Web page, part of the Manitoba: Spirited Energy campaign. The message -- that the average price for a single family home in October was $160,000 -- is compelling to me, since that is only slightly more than what I am paying in monthly rent for my furnished room in London...

But more convincing to others will surely be this quote from Peter Squire, "a market analyst and Public Relations Director for the Winnieg [sic] Real Estate Board":
"Winnipeg's housing market has experienced a boom in recent years, with prices rising steadily. Even so hosing costs in Winnipeg are substantially lower than what you'd find in other major Canadian centres, says Squire. [Emphasis mine.]
Hear that, you hosers? With fond memories of The Pemby and their cheap pitchers, I can certainly attest to what Mr. Squires says.

May I suggest that Manitoba consider spending some of its rebranding budget on luring a couple of copy editors back home? (Considering all offers at jkelly@gmail.com.)

6 comments:

Alison said...

That's funny - I surprised myself last night when someone asked me what other Canadian cities besides Toronto I would consider living in. My answer was Montreal and Winnipeg. My 14-year-old self would be horrified.

Although if hosing costs continue to rise, I might have to rethink that.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the Pemby pub. Cheap pitchers and, to the best of my knowledge, the only drive-thru beer vendor in Canada.

As a former Winnipeger, now living in Ontario (by way of Alberta), I long for the simpler days of crusing the bars on the Pembina strip. Monty's, Scandals, Strawberries, etc...

Anonymous said...

How things change! The Pemby is no longer the only drive-thru, Scandals has been "The O.C. [Off Campus]" for half a dozen years now, and I've never even heard of Strawberries.

Jonathan said...

I haven't been to the Pemby recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 'hosing costs', at least by the pint, are even cheaper across the street at the 'Bridge (Cambridge Motor Hotel).

Draft for $2.25, pitchers also cheap.

Ruslan said...

ahhh - the pemby...

i remember they had the board game RISK banned because it started too many fights.

i suppose you could always hit the albert for draft night, but the two pitcher deal disappeared to the ages many moons ago.

Sheena said...

hahahahaha
Any of the Gordon chain was de rigeur on the garage band pub crawl. The A, Monty's, The Curtis. Never heard of Strawberries? Was crawling distance from Scandals.

Broadways? Marble Club? Anybody?

I've taken to doing the Trashcona pub crawl whenever I go home. And blog about it too...