Monday, November 06, 2006

Love in the noughties is paranoid.

The London Review of Books has just released They Call Me Naughty Lola, a book collecting some of the literary journal's most hilarious, bizarre personal ads. (Sample: "Romance is dead. So is my mother. Man, 42, inherited wealth.") I attended the book launch/singles night last week and you can read all about it in today's Post.

A few of my favourites ads that didn't make it into the sidebar:

- Not everyone appearing in this column is a deranged cross-dressing sociopath. Let me know if you find one and I'll strangle him with my bra. Man, 56. Box no. 3221.

- Save it -- anything you've got to say can be said to my lawyer. But if you're not my ex-wife, why not write to box no. 5377. I enjoy vodka, canasta, evenings in, and cold, cold revenge.

- Slut in the kitchen, chef in the bedroom. Woman with mixed priorities (37) seeks man who can toss a good salad. Box no. 7421.

4 comments:

Jason Bo Green said...

The best personal ad of all-time remains, from NYC Craigslist, "Israel pulls out, this Arab c*ck won't".

I've a friend who posts brilliantly funny personal ads each week - the prizewinner is "Hungry Otter seeks Bernard Brandes-type NOW", an otter being a hairy slim guy and Bernard Brandes (sp?) being the guy who met up with that German cannibal. Funny personal ads are a real hobby for him.

This book looks really, really fun.

Anders said...

These are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I like your story.
But you'd better take a look here to find a really DIFFERENT dating site.
Looks amazing, agree? :-)
You can also find my pics and more about me on my page www.livedatesearch.com/jessica
Read more about me or drop me a message from there.
Chao!
Jessica

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I like your story.
But you'd better take a look here to find a really DIFFERENT dating site.
Looks amazing, agree? :-)
You can also find my pics and more about me on my page www.livedatesearch.com/jessica
Read more about me or drop me a message from there.
Chao!
Jessica