Wednesday, January 10, 2007

On a Wire.

Is anyone else a little unnerved by all these stories about people stealing metal that are suddenly in the news? First, there was the bronze statue of Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko stolen from an Oakville park, all but the head melted down at a scrapyard. Then, there was the Montrealer who was electrocuted while trying to steal copper wire from a Hydro-Québec tower. And now three men have been arrested for dismantling and walking away with a shiny new set of aluminium bleachers on Vancouver Island.

Apparently, this is only the tip of the iceberg as the price of metals skyrockets due to Chinese demand for base metals.

I suppose I'm just worried because I've been watching the first season of the brutal HBO series Rome and now I'm picturing thieves cutting out people's teeth for the fillings...

2 comments:

Krupo said...

Yeah, I was disturbed by the Taras incident too - I consider the thieves would that complete idiots. Surely, if they have to be thieves, couldn't they find, I dunno, a more *logical* target? Like something WITHOUT an identifiable head???

Also despicable for the action itself - but sort of amusing for how stupid it is.

This sort of thing happens a lot in 2nd/3rd world countries - but here? Bizarre.

Sarah said...

I'll tell you what really unnerves me. Getting my news about Canada from a guy who doesn't even live there!

When are you going to write about life in London? You must be having some fun adventures. Share 'em!