Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Amazing Glass.


cc
Originally uploaded by uncascrooge
Crystal Castles. They continue to enthrall me. I had a fever and a stiff neck this afternoon, but I roused myself and went to see them at Wrongbar tonight.

Alice is like a cult leader. I couldn't help it - I advanced and advanced leaving my friends behind, until I was right up front and being smashed from all sides and just hypnotised, jumping up and down. This is what I hear adolescence was like for some.

In other news, you may be interested to know I gave 3.5 stars to VideoCabaret's Laurier (yes, 3.5) and another 3.5 to Nicholas Nickleby over the past few days. (Perhaps I'm waiting to feel as mesmerised, dazzled, overcome and alive as I did tonight at Crystal Castles to give out that extra .5?)

Compare and contrast: The whole Nick-Nick gets 4/5 in The Sun, while The Star gave the first half 4/4 and the second 3.5/4. Eye gives full marks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Toronto Theatre critic with cool taste in music? Someone pinch me, am I dreaming?

Ian Mackenzie said...

Hi Kelly,

Good to meet you at the TAPA/Tarragon meet-the-critic thing last night. Good of you and Andrew to come.

And great to see another Toronto-based member of the theatrosphere. Praxis Theatre is navigating this terrain over at our blog, Theatre is Territory. Please drop by for a visit when you get a chance.

Anyway, we're looking forward to reading much more of your work.