Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Why the Fringe benefits everybody

Come one, come all to a panel discussion on this topic Friday:
Happy 20th Birthday Toronto Fringe: how living on the fringe can be a truly rewarding enterprise. Trey Anthony (Da Kink in My Hair), Sky Gilbert (novelist, poet, fillmaker, director, actor, professor) and Toronto Fringe Festival's Executive Director Gideon Arthurs, talk about 20 years of festival madness and success. Moderated by (J) Kelly Nestruck (Globe and Mail theatre critic) Friday, May 9, 6:30 p.m. Free. Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge St. 416-393-7131 www.torontopubliclibrary.ca
I have long been a strong supporter of the Canadian Fringe movement - the cross-country circuit is unique in the world. In fact, well before I got free tickets as a critic, I got volunteering at Fringes in Winnipeg, Montreal and Toronto in order to get into shows for free.

And, yes, I have been a Fringe performer as well, thanks for remembering. What? Symposium: The Musical, of course. In which I played Socrates in a toga? How could that great show have slipped your memory?

1 comment:

MK Piatkowski said...

So this was what Bridget was talking about on Saturday. Crap, I'm working that night. Any chance of a video and posting it for posterity?