Friday, October 10, 2008

Mr. Dion, when did you stop beating the economy?

Does no one else think this is a terribly phrased question: "If you were prime minister now, what would you have done about the economy and this crisis that Mr. Harper hasn't done?"

If I were Stephane Dion, I would have also asked for clarification.

Surely, it should be "If you were prime minister now, what would you be doing about the economy and this crisis that Mr. Harper hasn't been doing?" or "If you had been elected prime minister two years ago, what would you have done about the economy and this crisis that Mr. Harper hasn't done?"

Dion's response to the question as phrased - "If I had been prime minister 2½ years ago?" - actually shows that he has a better understanding of English grammar than CTV Halifax's Steve Murphy.

I can't believe this is what is being debated four days before the vote.

2 comments:

Suprih and Isti said...

Today You published "Untitled", but I thought you were creative, so you could make a great content.

You have a cool blog.

Don't had stopped contributing your sparkling idea in this blog. I was convinced this blog really useful.

May you be successful …….

Hope you can browse here:
http://www.enblog-gh.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

To be fair, Dion's job is as a politician. That was a softball question - a speech button - and he had to restart three times. Even if he misunderstood the nuance as to *when* he was Prime Minister, the right answer is to say "I would have been doing x, I would do y right now, and will do z if elected." Missing that sort of question is like Sarah Palin saying "I'll get back to you on that." Her job is to have a good-sounding answer, and she takes poor answers at her peril.