Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My top 13 shows of 2013

A few people asked me on Twitter, so here is a list - personal and idiosyncratic - of my 13 favourite productions of 2013. They weren't necessarily new in 2013, just new to me. You can still catch nine of them somewhere if you're willing to fork out for plane fare. Now, in no particular order...






1. Passion Play. Written by Sarah Ruhl. Directed by Aaron Willis, Alan Dilworth and Mitchell Cushman. Closed in Toronto. Read Martin Morrow's review. 

2. Lady Windermere's Fan. Written by Oscar Wilde. Directed by Peter Hinton.

Closed at the Shaw festival. Read my review.

3. Once. Written by Enda Walsh. Directed by John Tiffany.

At the Royal Alexandra in Toronto until Jan 5. Read my review. 

4. Les Miserables. Written by Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boublil. Directed by Laurence Connor and James Powell.

At the Princess of Wales in Toronto until February 2. Read my review. 

5. Needles and Opium. Written and directed by Robert Lepage.

Returns to Canadian Stage in Toronto in May 2015. Read my review. 

6. The God That Comes. Written by Hawksley Workman and Christian Barry. Directed by Christian Barry.

At the Citadel Theatre in Edmonton in January, and Tarragon Theatre in Toronto in June. Read my review.

7. Do You Want What I Have Got? A Craigslist Cantata. Written by Veda Hille and Bill Richardson. Directed by Amiel Gladstone

At the High Performance Rodeo in Calgary in January, and the Citadel Theatre in Edmonton in February. Read my review. 

8. Post Eden. Written and directed by Jordan Tannahill.

Closed at the Next Stage Festival. Read my review.

9. Pippin.

Still running on Broadway, touring soon. Read my review. 

10. Mary Stuart. Written by Friedrich Schiller. Directed by Antoni Cimolino.

Closed in Stratford. Read my review. 

11. Geschichten aus dem Wiener Wald (Tales from the Vienna Woods). Written by Ödön von Horváth. Directed by Michael Thalheimer. 

In rep at Deutsches Theater in Berlin. Watch a video. 

12. Die bitteren Tränen der Petra von Kant (The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant) at the Residenztheater in Munich.

In rep at the Munich Residenztheater. Watch a video.

13. The Drowned Man: A Hollywood Drama. Adapted by Punchdrunk. In London

There seems to be a backlash against the British theatre company, Punchdrunk right now. They'll weather it - this Woyzeck-inspired show, complete with its own mirror universe, was their incredible work yet.

In London until the end of February. Read my review... one of these days.

No comments: